WEEK-10: Mastering Session
I took the liberty of remixing in the Tech
Room because the mixes were distorted.
Here they are...
WEEK-9: Second try at ODs plus Mixing
Everything we learned from the previous
week was successfully applied - session organization, matching OD feel
/ performance with live, getting better sounds. We even managed to
get a brighter mix although we did not manage the low end.
In general, I would suggest the following:
Here are all the RAW mixes - including the
first one - I only processed mine to get a handle on how much bottom will
need to be shaved.
Paying even more attention to hearing the
necessary bottom in the room, to avoid too much bottom in the mix, for
example, we could have turned up the subwoofer.
Listening a bit louder to avoid mix creep.
I kept lowering the level to tape and raising the monitor level, but the
combination of too much low end and level saturated the tape.
Week-8: ODs on Sublime's Santeria
The procers of overdubbing revealed the
need for some basic organizational concepts. In additiona to documenting
every measure (into, verse, chorus, bridge, solo, etc) in order to kave
a log of good and bad takes, it is also important to document and enter
those key times - in minutes and seconds - enter into the Studer's locator,
to expedite the locate time. We learned that it was harder to get
the feel right as an overdub compared to playing live. Also, we need
a chorus box (I will bring, unless someone has) and Alex needs to tighten
up his performance by muting the strings so notes don't ring out into each
Here are two versions of the one mix -
raw and processed. I was surprised that the mix souned better in
my control room than it did in class.
Week-7: Covered Sublime's
A very productive day! Congrats to
all. Please provide all of the details you recall, everything you observed
and any questions. I will have some feedback soon.
WEEK-6: Studer A-827 Basics
We learned how to thread, locate, store
/ recal and calibrate. Connected to the Trident.
WEEK-5: Blitzkreig Flange
This week, the flanging exercise started
with two tape machines that we attempted to start as close to 'in sync'
as possible. We then explored 'panning through time manipulation,'
by dragging a finger on one flange or the other, while listening in stereo.
The experiemnt was recorded onto the 4-track and then played back in mono.
It was decided that the effect was not right for the track so there is
no copy of it.
Since we re-recorded the guiitar for the
third time, I did a mix after class. Below is that mix 'raw,' with
only the processing I could do in the analog domain in class. At
home, I 'processed' as if being mastered. I thought it sounded pretty good
EXCEPT for the 'tom' during the breaks, so I did three things to make the
'tom' sound better - EQ, multiband processing and reverb.
Give all three a listen, write back about
the class and about your ideas for the future.
WEEK-4: BlitzKrieg Bop
Three versions here - the raw and processed
versions of the track we did today. I spent a little time EQ-ing
the instruments, plus some mix bus processing. Then, at home, I did
some multi-band processing. I've also included a 24 track version
we did in a previous class.
As always, a full report on the class experience,
plus a close listen to all versions with an objective summary of each,
as soon as you can.
WEEK-3: Make a loop, lay it
to 4-track, record and overdub
I want some feedback from y'all before
I add my comments, but overall, a very productive day. I did a rough
mix of the blues jam going to the CD burner through my stereo busss compressor.
The reason there are two versions here is because one is the raw mix and
the other is the same mix 'processed.' Listen to both, maybe import
them into PT, see if you can describe the difference.
WEEK-2: More Editing Practice plus
visit from Steve Hodge
WEEK-1: Introduction to Analog Tape